Parents Forum 16th September
Parents agreed that the best time for a forum would be during the day.
Parent discussed areas they valued at Middleton:
- Children settle well into school
- Staff approachable – ‘family feel’
- Curriculum support evenings – phonics and maths
- Text messaging communication
- After school clubs that are lined to children’s learning eg Numicon
- Maths and reading cafes
- Parents can ‘drop children into the classroom’
Parents felt we could develop
- EYFS – activities children complete during registration
- Topic based homework
- Review of rewards systems – trophy each term for effort
- Ensure letters get home
- New parents feel they would welcome more information
- More information about reading schemes and how reading is taught
Areas discussed at length:
Use of time when children arrive in school in the morning
In response to parent comments so far this year we have:
- Held a parent curriculum meeting about reading to share with parents our new reading schemes and explain how we teach reading.
- Given parents more information about school life, including letters from the headteacher and information about school improvement.
- New parent information packs have been developed and our initial meetings reviewed.
- Review of reward systems planned for September 2016.